To further the missions of both The Caleb Foundation and The Caleb Group an Annual Scholarship Program was initiated in 2003. The purpose of the scholarship is to assist our residents with their educational goals.
Each year six $500 scholarships will be awarded. All residents of Caleb sites are eligible. A Caleb site includes communities with either a Caleb Foundation or Caleb Group presence. The scholarship can be used to assist with the cost of further education and any related costs, e.g. childcare, transportation, tuition, or books.
Timeline: Applications, which are available at the property manager's office, are due in our main office by March 13th of each year. A Committee of the Board of Directors will review the applications and make a recommendation to the Board of Directors at the Spring Board Meeting. The announcements of the recipients of the scholarships will be made by May 15st.
Award selection criteria:
- Legal resident of a Caleb site (included on lease)
- Demonstrated need
- The impact of the completed course on the quality of the resident's life
- Demonstration of volunteerism and/or public service
- Written recommendation(s)
Please help make an educational dream come true. Consider donating to the scholarship fund.
Scholarships Awarded in 2003
The Caleb Foundation had the pleasure of awarding six $500 scholarships to residents. The Scholarship Committee of the Board of Directors selected the following residents as recipients of this year's scholarships. Each resident has made tremendous strides toward her goals to improve her education and reach new heights. Congratulations!
Four of these awardees are single moms raising children and two are young women just completing high school.
- Martha, recently from Colombia, South America will go to Andover College in Portland to learn English and computer skills.
- Prachi has been attending Drury High School and Berkshire Community College as a dual enrollment student.
- Mary's scholarship will help her continue her education in nursing begun in Sept. 2002 at the University of Maine, Saco office.
- Rebecca studies sociology and criminal justice at the MA College of Liberal Arts in North Adams.
- Joanna is a full time student University of Maine in Portland working toward a degree in nursing.
- Sara of North Deering Gardens in Portland just began studying industrial design at the Art Institutes in Philadelphia.